Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Of errands and evangelizing

This week I brought in one of the community's cars for an oil change. As I got out of the car, one of the mechanics said "We have a question for you!" I braced myself, not knowing what it would be. But he had his Bible and said, "I was just reading the Gospel. What does it mean when it says that blood and water came out from Jesus' side?" Two other guys were with him and one added, "Yeah, when they put in the stick!"
So I was able to talk to them a little about the significance of the blood and water in relation to Baptism and the Holy Eucharist. At first I had feared they were evangelicals just looking for an argument, but they weren't. They sincerely wanted to understand more of the deeper meaning of the Bible. I was very impressed with their sincerity and real faith. I left feeling very edified by them. So it helped me reflect on how in the Mystical Body we can all help each other. I've probably had more opportunities than these simple mechanics have had to study theology. But perhaps they have a deeper, more simple faith than I do--and I mean simplicity in the good sense, like St. Therese spoke of spiritual childhood.

4 comments:

Therese Z said...

Can I presume that you are in a habit, so they know to ask the question? If so, see what a wonderful witness religious garb is!

Sr. Lorraine said...

Yes, that's true, I do wear a habit and was thinking this is a great reason to do it. That picture of me on the sidebar doesn't show up too well I guess, but I like it because of the background of the fall foliage.

Rogers Market said...

Nice pages here. Great information. Will visit again and recommend.

Rogers Market said...

Nice pages here. Great information. Will visit again and recommend.

ShareThis