Friday, April 22, 2005

Pope Benedict and ecumenism

In his talk to the cardinals the pope said this:
"Thus, in full awareness and at the beginning of his ministry in the Church of Rome that Peter bathed with his blood, the current Successor assumes as his primary commitment that of working tirelessly towards the reconstitution of the full and visible unity of all Christ's followers. This is his ambition, this is his compelling duty. He is aware that to do so, expressions of good feelings are not enough. Concrete gestures are required to penetrate souls and move consciences, encouraging everyone to that interior conversion which is the basis for all progress on the road of ecumenism. "

What do you think he means by "concrete gestures?"

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I think he's a man who chooses words carefully, so it should be interesting to watch his approach to ecumenism unfold.

Nancy said...

As I noted in my blog, I believe that under Pope Benedict XVI we will see the Lutheran Rite within the Roman Catholic Church. He began laying the ground work for this under the previous pope and I think we will first see joint communion and ultimately reunification.

In looking at some of the other posts on your site, I also think that his background in Augustinian philosophy is another reason why I think this is a serious possiblity.

xaipe said...

I wonder if his reference to Peter's having "bathed the Church of Rome with his blood" is some kind of premonition of martyrdom.
Pope Benedict is in my prayers as often as I think about him!

Sr. Lorraine said...

I hadn't thought about having a Lutheran rite, but that would be interesting, I suppose like the Anglican rite.
Here in Boston an Anglican pastor and his congregation became Catholic a few years ago. They are allowed to celebrate the liturgy with some adaptations that they brought from Anglicanism.

Leslie Fain said...

Sister Lorraine,

I think you have one of the best, if not the best, Catholic blog out there. Your posts are always informative and you are really charitable in how you deal with us commentors. Keep up the great work!

Sr. Lorraine said...

Thanks, Leslie!
I'm happy to get all the comments because they add a lot to the blog--I don't want it to be just my thoughts.
I did delete one comment from somebody who very nastily insulted the Pope. I don't want to keep those around! I don't think the person was Catholic but just stumbled upon the blog.

ShareThis