Saturday, April 02, 2005

Pope's legacy

At the final Mass for World Youth Day in Toronto 2002, the Pope said something that sums up his legacy:

You are young, and the Pope is old, 82 or 83 years of life is not the same as 22 or 23. But the Pope still fully identifies with your hopes and aspirations. Although I have lived through much darkness, under harsh totalitarian regimes, I have seen enough evidence to be unshakably convinced that no difficulty, no fear is so great that it can completely suffocate the hope that springs eternal in the hearts of the young. You are our hope, the young are our hope.

4 comments:

dundare said...

It always amazes me to encounter someone with the level of faith the Pope obviously had and that you too, Sister, share.

I grew up Catholic (catholic schooling from 1 through college) and still attend mass semi-regularly. However, my faith is weak indeed when compared to people like yours.

You might not always realize it on a day to day basis, but you have been blessed in ways that most of us never will be. I am happy for and envious of the relationship you and many others share with God. It is an amazing thing.

Anselmus said...

..but that relationship is offered to everybody, including you.

Gen X Revert said...

That quote is perfect! It explains JPII 's popularity with the young - they know he lived through a lot - losing both parents while still young, nazi occupation, communist oppression, assisination attempt, etc.. but he still shared the hope and optimism of the young! I hope you don't mind but I want to use this quote on my Faith on Tap webpage. (This is a local group for Catholics in their 20's and 30's)

dundare said...

***
..but that relationship is offered to everybody, including you.
***

I know it is Anselmus, but often we muck ourselves up so much about the most trivial of things that we create barriers to ourselves.

I think I have done just that. Pettiness, lack of discipline, and a general weakness keep me from that kind of relationship with God. I have recognized this for a while - its the ability to affect fundamental change that has proven near impossible.

Cheers,
DD

ShareThis