Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Health tip

Don't take vitamin C the day before you go to the dentist. It can make the local anesthetic less effective.
I just read this on a reputable health site and it confirms my own experience. A few months ago I had an old filling replaced, and that morning I took extra vitamin C. The drilling was painful to the point that I had to ask for more novocaine, which I never had to do before. But if you take vitamin C right after the dentist, it will help the novocaine wear off faster.

1 comment:

J. Mark Thompson said...

That's very interesting to me -- I used to take massive doses of vitamin C when I was in my 20s, and I remember an occasion when the dentist gave me a shot of some anesthetic and suddenly became very worried about me -- she said I had gone totally white as she was injecting it, and she hadn't seen such a reaction before. I don't remember the result, but I wonder exactly what the physiology of this vitamin C - anesthetic reaction is.

ShareThis