Monday, July 18, 2005

The weeds among the wheat

This Sunday's Gospel is about the weeds growing among the wheat. One commentary I looked at said that the Greek word used for "weeds" refers to a plant that looks a lot like wheat, especially when young. It puts an interesting twist on the parable, because it makes it harder to tell the good plants from the bad.
You could say a lot about this parable, so here's just one thought that came to mind. It reminds me that life isn't perfect, and the people I live with aren't perfect, and I'm not perfect either. We all have to put up with a lot of inconvenience and hassle from other people. The weeds are out there growing in the church and everywhere else. That doesn't mean we should be complacent about evil (especially when it comes to very serious evils) but we shouldn't be surprised by it.
I think Jesus was telling us to be realistic and expect that we'll have to deal with a lot of evil in life. Don't expect the Church to be a group of saints.

2 comments:

Robin L. in TX said...

Yes, and I am sure that I'm one of the weeds myself from time to time. It is God's greatest mercy that He allows us to rub elbows as we go, hopefully gaining in grace and holiness long enough for all of us to become wheat.

I simply have to remind myself whenever I get distracted by obvious sin, i.e. when people are too noisy before or after Mass making prayer difficult, or immodest clothing worn to Mass, that we are all on journeys.

I was probably one of the distraors when my journey first began. Now I try to thank God for allowing me to work on my focus and patience, granting me the opportunity to make a small sacrifice for Him as I pray for my distractedness, as well as those who I allow to distract me.

At least all of us are at Mass where we can gain in holiness and grace before God...And please, Lord, let me be wheat rather than weed more and more as time goes on.

In Christ's peace and joy,

Robin L. in TX

Moneybags said...

I also just read about this parable in the book "Memory and Identity" by Pope John Paul ll, and he spoke of how evil and good are always together. He also spoke of the fact that only good can fight evil and that out of evil and suffering good is always accomplished.

It's a very good book, and I will be posting my opinions and a summary of it on my blog when I finish.

ShareThis