Saturday, November 19, 2005

Hazardous waste day

Today the city of Boston had one of its semi-annual household hazardous waste day, when city residents can drop off their hazardous waste at a special collection site. So I loaded our van with some hazardous items that were hanging around the convent. It wasn't all that much but I always like to get rid of things like that. I love getting rid of any kind of garbage, actually.
We have a joke around the convent that there are basically two types of nuns: those who think it's practicing poverty by saving every scrap of anything that might possibly be useful even a hundred years from now, and those who practice poverty by not hanging on to things and throwing away all the junk the others collect (like me). Once I found a pair of boots in our supply closet that fit me, so I thought I could use them. The first time I put them on, though, water oozed through them and soaked my feet. So I tossed them into the dumpster, muttering about people who can't bring themselves to throw out junk....

Anyway, I was thinking that going to confession is a lot like getting rid of hazardous waste. Nothing is more hazardous than sin. Confession gets rid of it. In the Church, every day is a hazardous waste disposal day.

4 comments:

xaipe said...

Love the analogy with confession! How fitting....

Moneybags said...

Great analogy. My city also recently had a waste collection day, and I dropped off a large pile of batteries for recycling. I even went and dropped off plastic bags yesterday and plan on cashing in some aluminum cans for money soon. I am actually a pretty avid recycler.

Anonymous said...

I love your analogy, very inspiring. I am printing this to paste on our notice board. Keep it up!

net

Lisa said...

I, too, like the analogy to confession -- and I agree with the two views on practicing poverty :)
Lisa

ShareThis