Monday, November 14, 2005

What would you ask Jesus for?

Today's Gospel: Luke 18:35–43


Imagine you are the blind beggar and picture the scene of this Gospel:

You are sitting by the side of the road begging, and you hear a lot of commotion. It’s more than the usual bustle of people trudging down the dusty road. Excitement buzzes through the air, so much so that you can feel it. What’s going on? You shout out the question. People ignore you, but you do it again and someone finally says, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by!”
Jesus of Nazareth! You had heard stories about this young preacher. A miracle man! Reports said that he could heal illness and disease. A spark of hope lights up your heart. Maybe he can heal me of my blindness!
“Son of David, have pity on me!” you cry out. People around you try to shut you up. But you cry out even louder, “Son of David, have pity on me!” Jesus stops. He stands still, almost as if to listen more closely to your voice. He orders you to come, and some people lead you to where he waits.
“What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asks. What a question! Imagine having Jesus himself, the Son of God, ask what you want. The blind man asked for his sight, but what would you ask for? What is the deepest desire of your heart? What would you ask Jesus to do for you, if he was standing before you right now?

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I'd ask Him to come back. Quick.

Barb N.

laurathecrazymama said...

I would ask Him to love me and let me go to heaven no matter how stinky (my soul, I mean, not actual B.O.!) I might be at any given moment. I would plead with Him to let me live forever with him even though my soul feels black as night sometimes. I would beg Him to not let me see purgatory or hell at all on my way to heaven's gate!

seeking_something said...

Once, my confessor asked me what I needed most at the moment, what would I ask of the Church. My brain scrambled and came up with "faith." I still think it's a good answer.

Anonymous said...

Stay.

ShareThis