Monday, December 19, 2005

Chronicles of Narnia

Yesterday I went to see the movie Chronicles of Narnia. I like it a lot. It's been a long time since I read the book so I didn't remember that much from it, but I thought they did a great job with the movie.
If you've seen it, what was your reaction?
One thing that struck me was how easy it is to run into voices of discouragement. For example, in the scene when Peter had to kill the wolf, Susan told him he couldn't do it and urged him to put down his sword--in other words, she was telling Peter he was no good. That's the voice of discouragement, the voice of the tempter, the voice of Satan. Satan always tries to get us to think we're no good--because if we think that, we'll live up to that idea.
Instead, Aslan calls forth the good in people. That's what Jesus does. He tells us the truth, which is that God loves us and his love creates goodness in us. Look deep into your heart and discover the greatness that God has put there. In fact, St. Thomas says that the sin of acedia or spiritual apathy is the refusal of one's own greatness.

No comments:

ShareThis