Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Dust and ashes

I love Ash Wednesday! It's the day for making a fresh start, for cleaning up my inner self, for just pausing a bit to take stock of where I am spiritually.

If I learned anything from the 30-day retreat I just made this past January, it's that the key thing in the spiritual life is to grow in my relationship with Jesus. That's what it's all about. The resolutions, penances, etc. that we do are important and necessary means. But what matters ultimately is our relationship with Jesus. Of course the Church is a big part of that; I don't mean to suggest it's only about me and Jesus. What I mean to say is that any particular Lenten practice has value to the extent that it helps us grow in that relationship.

So for this Lent what I need to do is to continue what I started in the retreat and pay more attention to prayer.

What are your Lenten plans?

No comments:

ShareThis