Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lent song

I got this song from Marty Helgesen, an old acquaintance from the Catholic Evidence Guild whom I reconnected with through the internet. He wrote it to the tune of "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music. I added the first verse since the original song has one verse, then the refrain:

Vigils and penance and prayers without number,
Though I feel cranky from my lack of slumber,
I want to get rid of all sin that still clings,
So these are a few of my favorite things:

Sackcloth and ashes, and days without eating,
Mortification and nights without sleeping,
A hair shirt that scratches, a nettle that stings,
These are a few of my favorite things.

 
          When it's Christmas,
When the tree's lit,
When the cards are sent,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I can't wait till Lent.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

That's really cool! I can guarantee that it will be stuck in my head for a few days now! Thanks for sharing! God Bless!

The Confessionator said...

that's a really neat song! i'm going to have it in my head for 40 days now :)

ShareThis