Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Pray from where you're at

The other night I was reading Peggy Noonan's biography of Ronald Reagan, When Character Was King." She recalled an interview with his daughter Patti who talked about prayer. She said something that I liked a lot. When she prays, she doesn't think that she first has to get herself all cleaned up, so to speak, but can talk to God from whatever spot she's in, no matter how messy. I really liked that because sometimes I can think I have to get myself "all together" before I pray. But God just wants to hear from us, whether it's just after an argument with someone, or in the midst of changing dirty diapers or whatever.

3 comments:

Kitty said...

True! And you can take it even further and say that we can get to heaven from "where we're at" - like St. Therese of Lisieux. All we have to do is offer all of our little prayers, works, joys & sufferings to God and ask Him to lift us up. Isn't God good?

Lisa said...

"Where we are at" can be such a potentially powerful place of spiritual growth and transformation, if only we let God do what is God's to do.

Thanks for the reminder, Sister!

laurathecrazymama said...

WHEW, good thing I don't have to "clean up" to pray. I'd only pray about once a week and THAT'S certainly not enough for this busy mama/sinner!!!!

ShareThis