Wednesday, September 20, 2006

They forgot the bread

This morning I was reading the Gospel of Matthew, the passage which notes that when the disciples rowed across the lake they forgot to bring bread along. It just struck me that this is a very human, even humorous, incident. I realize there's a deeper theological point to the passage (about the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees). However, I could just imagine the group of men getting into the boat in a hurry, and no one thought to bring along the essential supplies.

This gives me courage. Whenever I'm a little unorganized and forget something, at least I'm in good company! As human beings we're always going to slip up and make mistakes. The important thing is not to avoid mistakes but to learn from them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A while ago, I used to get so discouraged by my mistakes, but as I get older, I just tell myself, "I'm only human", except I do make a mental note not to make the same mistakes. Thank God for examples like the great saints, who I have to remember, were human too.

ShareThis