Thursday, December 14, 2006

From the comments box--worth reading!

A man named David posted this in the comments box of one of the posts about having children. It's a wonderful testimony of faith and confidence in divine providence:



I've been meaning to follow up on my post with a story: be careful what you ask for!

The very night after I posted my comments, my wife told me she thought she may be pregnant. We confirmed this a couple of weeks later.

It has been a struggle to come to terms with this. My wife and I are both in our early 40s. Our three boys are 7, 5, and 2 and we were just beginning what we thought would be our post-infant years. Our lives are stressful and chaotic as it is; 2006 was particularly insane and we were both looking forward to a more peaceful 2007. But now we are starting over again with a 4th. To be honest, neither of us is sure how we will be able to manage this.

But when my wife showed me the positive pregnancy test, she apologized for the "mistake" (she had misread her calendar... I'll leave it at that). I explained that God doesn't make mistakes, that he sent us this baby on purpose. So instead of thinking about how our plans have been impacted by this baby, we are trying to focus on God's plan, and who this baby might be. I don't think either of us has made peace with this change quite yet, but I also know that the only path to peace is acceptance of God's will and a setting aside of our own will. We are placing our hope and trust in God.

So I'm asking for your prayers this Advent, as my family enters its own season of waiting for this new child that will arrive in early August... specifically:

-- for the health of my wife, who just turned 40 and has always had serious morning sickness, that she remain healthy, rested, and strong, and that she not suffer from morning sickness

-- for the health of our baby

-- that the baby is a girl, because my wife so dearly wants a daughter (but would never tell me so)!

-- for our three boys, that they be as supportive and accepting of their new baby brother or sister as they have always been of each other

-- for our family, that we work together in love to take care of this child and each other

-- for my wife and I to focus on the joy of knowing that God has reached out to us and entrusted us with another life, and in 2007 to find peace and serenity that seems to have eluded us in 2006

-- and, finally, for myself, that I overcome my own struggles, so I can lead my family with joy and strength without distraction over the coming year.

David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother and his wife recently faced a similar situation. My sister-in-law had serious heart surgery and became pregnant (obviously unexpectedly) a few months later. They are both in their early 40s and this was baby #8. Most of her doctors said to terminate, it was too risky for both mother and child, but her ob. told her God had a reason for sending this baby and she should leave it up to Him. They did and through the prayers of many and God's goodness they were blessed with a healthly little girl in October. She is the delight of her older sisters and brother as well as her parents.
Just wanted you to know that these stories often have happy endings and I will most certainly remember this family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

For David - if you see this...

Your situation hits home for me. My Mother was into her '40s when I came along (ten years after the previous birth in our family). And since I am now roughly my mother's age when I was conceived I'm starting to appreciate the physical wear & tear that event had on her - not to mention the complete change once again interjected into the whole family's day-to-day routine.

God was incredibly good to me. Perhaps because my parents were older and were able to take a lot of stuff in stride, or perhaps because they had to work through all their feelings about having another child when they obviously weren't expecting to be back in the baby business ...whatever it was, I had the most wonderful childhood. I hope and trust that my life has been a blessing for them.

Bottom line, we do our best to make plans and be responsible and all of that, but God's grace underpins EVERYTHING - and that makes all the difference in the world.

Your whole family is definitely in my prayers.

causa nostra laetitiae said...

I am 44 and the mother of three lovely young ladies, 13, 9, and 4. My four year old has Down Syndrome, and is healthy and happy, thank God. I pray to God every day to convince my husband to have just one more child to raise for His kingdom. So far, to my bitter disappointment, the answer has been NO. I think he's afraid I'll have another DS child, or that my gestational diabetes will cause another difficult pregnancy. Two of my friends are having babies next month, numbers 9 and 7, and I'm dying to be in their shoes.
I will offer up my suffering at NOT being chosen to mother a fourth child for you and your family, so that God can give you the grace to surrender to His plan for you. Someday, you will wonder how you ever got along without this child.

ShareThis