Sunday, December 24, 2006

O Come Let Us Adore Him

At our "midnight" (actually 8 PM) Mass tonight, we concluded a beautiful liturgy with the hymn "O Come All Ye Faithful." (Adeste Fideles). Something came over me while singing it, at the lines "Deum de Deum, Lumen de Lumine....genitum non factum." (We were singing it in English but the Latin words were there too.) Those are the words of the Creed. "God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made."

All of a sudden, a glimpse of the mystery of the Incarnation just amazed me. Wow! God became a man. He became one of us. Why? To save us from our sins. This little baby lying in a manger is begotten of the Father--and begotten of Mary through the power of the Holy Spirit. I got a picture in my mind of people all over the world singing the same thing--praising Jesus Christ, God incarnate, our Savior, our Redeemer. Then I thought of all those who don't know him yet and I felt a great desire to make him known.

That's what our mission is all about as Daughters of St. Paul. To make Jesus Christ known. I felt grateful to God for the gift of my vocation. So that glimpse into the mystery of the Incarnation led me around back to gratitude for my personal vocation and God's gifts to me in sustaining me through it. Bl. James Alberione, our Founder, once said, "Everything leads to the Magnificat!"

No comments:

ShareThis