Sunday, February 18, 2007

Behold the Lamb of God...who takes away the sins of the world!"

Has it ever happened to you that something you've heard hundreds or thousands of times all of a sudden strikes you as if you had never heard it before?

This morning at Mass that happened to me at the Lamb of God. When the priest held up the host and said "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world," it hit me all of a sudden. Jesus takes away our sins. Of course I have known that and believed that my whole Catholic life. Yet, those words suddenly penetrated my heart in a very special way. It was like I had a felt experience of them. I felt clean. I knew Jesus had cleansed me of my sins.

Sometimes it's so easy to be down on ourselves and bemoan the fact that we are sinners. Yes, we are sinners. But Jesus knows how to deal with sin. He has cleansed us so that we really are washed, sanctified, justified. In the Book of Acts, when Peter had the vision of all foods being clean, the angel told him, "What God has sanctified you are not to call unclean."

That goes for ourselves, too!

No comments:

ShareThis