Friday, November 30, 2007

Spe Salvi various thoughts

One passage of the encyclical that really grabbed my attention was this:

"Both these things—justice and grace—must be seen in their correct inner relationship. Grace does not cancel out justice. It does not make wrong into right. It is not a sponge which wipes everything away, so that whatever someone has done on earth ends up being of equal value. Dostoevsky, for example, was right to protest against this kind of Heaven and this kind of grace in his novel The Brothers Karamazov. Evildoers, in the end, do not sit at table at the eternal banquet beside their victims without distinction, as though nothing had happened."

That's quite a powerful statement! I think it speaks to the modern tendency to somehow whitewash moral evil, as if what we do with our lives doesn't really matter in the end. But it does. What we do now will have consequences for all eternity.

That's a consoling thought for people who suffer injustices here on earth. While we rightfully act to right those wrongs, on earth, justice often is not done. When you see evil seemingly triumph, it can sorely test the faith of believers. But evil will not have the last word.

4 comments:

marthatherese said...

YES...YES...YES...I agree it's a definately consoling thought for all of us who suffer injustices! I've been spiritually depressed stage for so long and it gives me so much hope for tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Quiet joy!

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

That is one I have always have trouble with. When I see evil and injustice and think that there MUST be a way I can "fix" it. It's good to be reminded (through hope!) that it will be "fixed" no matter what I do or don't do...in the end!

Lisa said...

Thank you, Sister Lorraine, for introducing us to Spe Salvi and its rich content. I am looking forward to praying with it soon in greater depth. These encyclicals really are such great treasures.

By the way, we missed you at the FSP concert in Princeton. Perhaps next year?

Anonymous said...

Hello from a remote mission in the rainforest of Cameroon. I have to give a talk tomorrow on Spe Salvi and came across your blog. The idea you focus upon will be a good point for discussion.
All my prayers,
Fr. Vincent Lockhart

ShareThis