Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year's goals

Many people make resolutions for the new year, and I think it's a good practice. I recently read that about 85% of those who make resolutions don't keep them. But that means that 15% do, and their lives are changed as a result.

Personally, I like to think in terms of goals, not resolutions. The reason is that at least in my mind, the word "resolution" seems to suggest something already accomplished. A goal, instead, is something that a person can work toward. Resolutions might at times make a person feel guilty for breaking them. But with a goal, I have a vision to work for. If at times I slip back and stop working toward my goal, I can always get going again.

This year I have one simple goal for my spiritual life: to give more time to prayer and make it my highest priority. There are certain times of prayer that I am obligated to do as a religious sister. For example, in my congregation each sister makes an hour of adoration before the Blessed Sacrament every day, along with Mass, meditation and some community prayers. When this is part of your life every day, it is easy at times for it to become routine. So my goal is to revitalize these times of prayer by making them a real time of visiting with the Lord.

Whatever your goals, one good strategy to help reach them is to write down the goal in a place where you can see it every day, to keep it before your mind. It also helps to imagine yourself already doing it.

What kind of goals do you have for this new year?

1 comment:

The Daily Grotto said...

Hello Sister,

I am new to your blog. One of my goals as outlined in my new blog the Daily Grotto is to spend more time in prayer. May God Bless you in the New year. Kathy

ShareThis