Thursday, February 28, 2008

William F. Buckley

Yesterday I was saddened to hear about the death of Bill Buckley. Whether or not you agreed with his positions, he was a most articulate man with a razor-sharp intellect.

I first heard of Bill Buckley as a youngster by watching Firing Line with my father and older brother. My father would encourage me to study hard so that I could acquire a vocabulary like Mr. Buckley’s. We also subscribed to National Review, and reading that through high school gave me an anchor of sanity in turbulent times (ie., the late 60s and early 70s). His work in journalism was extremely important and shows the incredible influence that one person can have.

The following words of Bl. James Alberione, a priest who dedicated his life to using the media to evangelize, could well be applied to Mr. Buckley:

“Keep before you, also, the example of St. Paul working so hard and suffering so much in the exercise of his mission. In the face of everything, he remained tireless, up to the time when he declared: ‘I have finished my course.’ You, too, if you have exercised your mission with faith and zeal, will be able to say at the end of your life: ‘I have accomplished the noble work assigned to me, and now I await the reward.’”

No comments:

ShareThis