Monday, May 05, 2008

Our Lady of Laus

I just saw a news item that the Church has given official approval to an apparition site in southern France, in the Alps. The shrine is at Laus, and the apparitions occurred in the late 1600's. (Which goes to show you that the Church often moves very slowly when it comes to these things!)

The basic message is a familiar one, though, and it's the message of the Gospel: conversion, prayer, penance. I had never heard of this apparition before. The Blessed Mother appeared to a young shepherd girl, Benoite Rencurel. This link has an English version of the story.

Benoite had the gift of being able to read people's hearts, so that she could call them to conversion. Apparently she didn't relish this and sometimes delayed in exhorting them, and Mary would then urge her to do it. I can't blame Benoite for finding this difficult!

2 comments:

Therese said...

Thank you for sharing this message with us!
Therese

liturgy said...

Cool site!
I cannot find an email address
but I hope you'll visit
Liturgy
www.liturgy.co.nz
& maybe link.
Let me know so I acknowledge this & link back.

Blessings

ShareThis