Monday, June 08, 2009

Two American journalists sentenced

Please pray for their release. They were sentenced to 12 years of hard labor in North Korea, for illegal entry. Laura Ling and Euna Lee are based in San Francisco and were investigating the plight of women and children trying to flee the country.


The sentence cannot be appealed. Conditions in North Korean labor camps are said to be harsh and life-threatening. Malnutrition, beatings and other rights abuses are rampant according to human rights groups.

Ms. Ling suffers from an ulcer and needs medication. Ms. Lee has a four-year-old daughter at home in California.

Full story here

1 comment:

Brian said...

Dear Sr.Marianne,

I will surely pray for these young women. I posted the same request on my blog. I see you are a Sister of St. Paul - in 2003, I attended Mother Teresa's Beatification Mass in Rome. While there, I visited a co-workers elderly Aunt who was a Daughter of St. Paul in Rome. Her name was Sr. Clementina. She died shortly after my visit. The convent was near St. Paul's Cathedral.

* your blog is so nice...

God bless you!

ShareThis