Friday, August 28, 2009

Feast of St. Augustine

Today is the feast of St. Augustine, that great convert. He was a religious genius and left a huge amount of very important theological writing. He is certainly an inspiration to all of us sinners who are seeking to follow Christ.

Today is also my anniversary of entering religious life--33 years! I remember taking the Amtrak train from NY to Boston. It was a Saturday and that evening we started a day of retreat. I certainly had no idea what to expect but it's been a great adventure. I thank the Lord for his mercy to me, for the grace to persevere, for the sisters in my community and for our great mission in the Church. It seems like a drop in the ocean and very insignificant. But at least that drop is there. God can multiply the effects of the little good that we do.
I pray for the grace of perseverance. It's a great grace, and ultimately the most important one. After grace, of course, I think I've made it this far through a certain stubbornness in not giving up. Religious life is not for the faint of heart. I've survived, difficulties, problems, upsets, conflicts, and two bouts with cancer. God is most faithful.
Deo gratias!

3 comments:

Tom said...

Happy Anniversary!

opey124 said...

Bless you and happy anniversary. (in your pic, you don't look old enough to be celebrating 33 years!)

Sr. Lorraine said...

Thank you!

ShareThis