Monday, August 31, 2009

Maybe I should have been a Dominican?

I took this quiz on Facebook about what religious order appeals to you, and I got:

Dominican
You are infused with the desire to learn, and, following in the footsteps of St. Aquinas, St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Vincent Ferrer, St. Louis de Montfort, should consider joining the Domincans. Founded to preach the gospel and to combat heresy, the order is famed for its intellectual tradition, having produced many leading theologians and philosophers. Further, the Order places heavy emphasis on the role of charity in the Christian life. As the image of God grows within man, he learns to rely less on an intellectual pursuit of virtue and more on an affective pursuit of charity and meekness. Meekness and charity guide Christians to acknowledge that they are nothing without the One (Christ) who created them, sustains them, and guides them. Thus, man then directs his path to that One, and the love for, and of, Christ guides man's very nature to become centered on the One, and on his neighbor as well. Charity is the manifestation of the pure love of Christ, both for and by His follower. Friars differ from monks in that they are called to live the evangelical counsels (vows of poverty, chastity and obedience) in service to a community, rather than through cloistered asceticism and devotion. Whereas monks live cloistered away from the world in a self-sufficient community, friars are supported by donations or other charitable support. Dominicans are distinguished by their white habit and black mantle, from which they get the term “Blackfriars”.


****

I'm not surprised because I've always loved St. Thomas. I guess that's a clue.
But I'm very happy being a Daughter of St. Paul. Actually, we have Dominican characteristics. There's a reason why I was attracted to an order that makes books!

3 comments:

Tom said...

There's a reason why I was attracted to an order that makes books!

So you're not a Dominican, you're an enabler.

Ruth Ann said...

Having been educated by both Dominican Sisters and Dominican Friars, I consider myself "Dominicanized," although now that I'm a Lay Carmelite, I am also "Carmelized!"

Sister, I detect in your posts a Dominican "flavor" in how you express your ideas. Perhaps it's the influence of Thomistic philosophy and theology.

I truly enjoy what you write.

opey124 said...

Those quizes are fun.

Would you have any suggestions (reference books or sites) for a young girl who is working on a story (aime style) about the Christians during the time of Diocletian rule? Our daughter is interested in developing a story about St. Philomena's early life and any help would be appreciated.

ShareThis