Wednesday, August 26, 2009

On the death of Ted Kennedy

When someone dies it is a time to remember we all have to go before God. It's a time to pray for the person and ask God's mercy. Thus may it be for Senator Kennedy.

Some years ago my mother had a problem with the Social Security Administration. Living in NY, she wrote to Senator Daniel Moynihan and he got it straightened out for her. My brother told me about it and said, "We're grateful to the senator for helping us out with this, but we still can't vote for him because he supports abortion."

I thought of that story when I heard about Kennedy's death. I'm sure that in many ways he did help a lot of people. But the sad thing about his life is that he turned into an indefatigable advocate of abortion rights. In fact, he racked up a 100% approval rating from NARAL. He voted in favor of extending abortion in any way he could, and he voted against any restrictions on it. I could never understand how he could ever justify this since it is completely against Catholic teaching. In the encyclical "Gospel of Life," Pope John Paul wrote: "Abortion and euthanasia are thus crimes which no human law can claim to legitimize.... I repeat once more that a law which violates an innocent person's right to life is unjust and, as such, is not valid as a law. For this reason I urgently appeal once more to all political leaders not to pass laws which, by disregarding the dignity of the person, undermine the very fabric of society."

Amid all the media adulation of Kennedy, and even feeling for the humanity of the man, I feel disturbed at the way Catholic politicians have been so complicit with the culture of death. May God have mercy on his soul.

No comments:

ShareThis