Friday, February 19, 2010

Lent with Mary Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

“I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity.... Choose life so that you and your descendants may live” (Deut 30: 15, 19)

“If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake, he will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?” (Lk 9:23–25)


These first days of Lent are like an “orientation” to give us a direction for the entire season. God gives us a choice, and invites us to choose life. Paradoxically, to choose life does mean to choose the cross. Jesus turned our human standards upside down. The cross brings life.
Mary chose life when she gave of herself to bring Jesus into the world. It led her to Calvary. But it also led her to the fullness of life and happiness. Now from heaven she intercedes for us so that we might always choose life.


Prayer

Mary, help me today to always choose the good, just as you did. Help me to choose life for myself and others.

No comments:

ShareThis