Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday of Lent Week One

Today is the feast of the Chair of St. Peter, but here is a reflection based on the readings for the weekday of Lent.

Monday of the First Week of Lent

“Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of those who are members of my familiy, you did it to me” (Mt 25:40).

In today’s Gospel, Jesus tells us quite clearly that our salvation depends on how we treat other people. Whatever we do to others, we do to Jesus. The other day I was able to bring the Blessed Sacrament to someone. As I drove with the Body of Christ in the pyx hanging in a pouch around my neck, I keenly felt the presence of Jesus. How could I get angry at the rude driver who cut me off with Jesus right there?

In reality, he’s always there, even if not in his sacramental presence. He lives in us through grace. Mary lived with Jesus all the time in their home at Nazareth. She certainly carried his holy presence to others, whether it was the blind beggar clanging coins in his cup, or the crippled woman trying to draw water from the town well.

Prayer

Mary, help me to always remember Jesus is right beside me.

No comments:

ShareThis